Monday, August 13, 2012

Professionalism: A Work in Progress



”A professional is someone who can do his best work when he doesn't feel like it.

These are the words from British-American journalist, television personality and broadcaster, Alfred Alistair Cooke.  I may not know the reason why this quote came into his mind but I do agree with it.

My internship stint at Home Radio exposed me to the concrete definition of the word PROFESSIONALISM. But the word is better defined in dictionaries (and in the web) than being done. There are really times when our sense of professionalism is put to a test. Our environment, our ego, or our colleagues can sometimes trigger us to do something unprofessional.

As an intern, I’m learning the art of professionalism from professionals both in the academe and at my internship site. During my stay at Home Radio, I got to know about internal conflicts among the employees but one good thing about the employees was how they dealt with their problems. Everyone stayed diplomatic when they resolved the issues. No one got won over by their emotions which can cause jeopardy to one’s professionalism most of the times.

Approximately seven months from now, I will be a professional but I know it won’t be an easy ride. What can harm my hopes of becoming a professional are my days of lethargy which can put a hold on me from doing my best.

Whenever I get attacked by my laziness, insecurities, or other negative vibes, I will think of Cooke’s quote. It will serve as my reminder. If I want to belong to the professional and corporate world, I have to perform at my best even if the odds are not in my favor. This may be easier said than done, but I know I will make it. I will not fail myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment