Tuesday, August 21, 2012

In Actuality


   Hi Blogspot! It’s 1:10 AM and I can’t go back to sleep so I thought of visiting you. Now, here I am making my fourth internship blog. Isn’t this great and productive of me? (HAHA)
   
    During our first day of internship last May 28, Sir Hans, the sales and marketing head, asked us to make a radio advertisement for Harold’s Hotel.  A lot of things came into my mind like, “What if we can’t come up with a good script? What would they say about USJ-R Masscom students? How can they trust us with something this big?”

    I doubted myself but I reviewed all my notes about radio script making and consulted my classmates who were good with such stuff.  I remembered that in making a radio/tv ad, one has to divide the page into two columns. The left column is where technical instructions will be written while on the right are the words being voiced over or uttered. This is how I made our first assignment.

   On our second day, Jovan, Gem, and I shared our drafts and edited each other’s works. The group decided to pass my output to Sir Hans. I felt horrible with my draft because my technical column had nothing written on it. I’m not really good with technical stuff so I left it blank thinking the technicians will do the editing and adding of sound effects. I felt bad passing something that was half-baked, but when it got to Sir Hans’ hands he said nothing bad and thanked us. Although, he did ask why I wrote it in such way and I was like, “What? They don’t do it like this here?”  

   I knew that when they make commercials, all they do is compose the scripts and leave the disc jocks with the editing and adding of sound effects. It got me thinking that what we’re taught in school may not necessarily be what is done in the actual field. But I am not complaining. I even think it’s an advantage on my part to learn how to make split page scripts.  My internship site may not be doing it but maybe some radio and tv stations make use of split page scripts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment