Monday, January 30, 2012

Among the Chosen Few

It was this time of day last year - the same busy climate due to preparations for the ABET Awards and the upcoming Midterm exams - that I received this RYLA letter.

Last year, I had to decline because of how busy I was and how I lacked the credentials. This year I'm planning to decline again BUT! there's this little voice urging me to give this a try. A part of me wants to do the interview and see what comes from there.  I don't have flowery credentials and numerous awards to wow RYLA's Panel but having been chosen to represent my department is just like getting a slushie on my face to tell me "Hey! We see leadership potential in you."

 Geeeez. This is hard. I'm flattered in some way but hesitant. I have always hated to be the leader because of how some lazy people benefit from my toil and how some always depend on me in decision-making instances which makes me think how people don't exercise their initiative. Lastly, there are really people who can't reciprocate the sacrifices I do for the group.

GAAAAAAAAHD. This is difficult. The interview will be this Friday but I'm booked this week. God, do Your Will on me.



*Definition of terms:
ABET - Amateur Broadcasters' Experimental Production for Television; USJR MassCom Coordinates' Film Festival
RYLA - Rotary Youth Leadership Awards

Rotary Youth Leadership Awards Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment